While a holiday trip should be a moment of tranquility or adventure, we cannot carry all the comforts of home with us. At some point most of us are programmed to bring things like first aid kits before heading out of the door for a trip. You won’t know if pharmacies & medicines are accessible or not during the travel.
A basic medical kit should contain generic drugs that treat common sickness such as:
- Common cold & fever
- Indigestion & constipation
- Nasal congestion
- Skin problems
- Cough & Sore throat
- Small Cuts
- Mild Pain
- Other Allergies
All these should be placed in one packet or small bag that would fit inside the luggage. If possible, the packet should be in bright color and with a flexible strap so it will be easily seen.
Make sure that you check the medicines regularly and replace the expired, deformed or spoiled ones.
Every trip is not the same. You might want to customize your kit’s items depending on your travel destination. Going to big cities do not require you to bring all the basic pharmaceuticals; however if you are going to rural places, it is necessary to bring a complete set.
Liquids – if you are bringing liquids with you, make sure that the quantities follow the aircraft’s requirements. Whether these are medications, baby foods or breast milk, choose an airtight container or bottle that will not be affected by changes of air pressure during the long flights.
Bring zip lock travel bags with you to put all your important documents such as passport, doctor’s prescriptions, medicinal booklet, etc. This is to protect them from moist or other liquid.
- Take note of all emergency telephone numbers if possible
- If you are travelling with children, it would be better if you carry a thermometer with you
- Bring unbreakable pocket mirror, sanitary pads or tampons, Band-Aid or small bandages, condoms and one or two plastic garbage bags
- Prepare some burns creams or ointments
- For mosquito protection, carry a mosquito repellent or if possible, a mosquito net with you especially if you are going to rural isolated areas or islands
- For people using contact lenses, always bring along its cleansing products such as neutralizers, & saline solution
Before you depart for your next trip, make sure you get protected with an affordable and first class international travel insurance such as Allianz Travel. If you are not sure which one to choose, read our travel insurance buying guide here.